Idaho Fly Fishers Blog

Big Y Fly Company

Big Y Fly Company
><> Sale ><> Sale ><> Sale ><> Sale ><> Sale ><> 3rd Annual Clearance Sale, 10% off Beadheads, 15% off Fly Tying <>< Sale <>< Sale <>< Sale <>< Sale <>< Sale <><

About Me

My photo
Discussing fishing flies, trout flies, salmon flies, fly fishing gear and equipment, Idaho and Montana fishing rivers, NW rivers, fly tying and fly fishing trips. Over 50 years experience in fly fishing, best flies, fly tying, fly fishing techniques, fish stories, directions to rivers and lakes and great fly fishing tall tales with special communications from area guides.

Blog Usage and Invitation to Join

HOW TO USE THIS BLOG:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GUIDES GET FREE ADVERTISING - Submit stories and photos from your
guide/personal trips which will ALL be placed on our "GUIDES' / FISH
STORIES PAGE
" and "EMAIL QUESTIONS". Allow for some editing and don't forget your
contact information.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 - The same blog header appears on each page, so please scroll down.
2 - If you like the Idaho Fly Fishers, JOIN OUR BLOG AT TOP OF RIGHT HAND
COLUMN !!!
3 - Check the box below each post and click "comments" to add your
thoughts.
4 - Go to our QUICKVIEW BLOG POST RETRIEVAL page for easy catogorized access to all of our
posts (CLICK HERE).
5 - For GREAT fly fishing photos go to Photo Headers
or Fly Fishers Photos.
6 - If you would like to have posts emailed without joining, enter your email
into the box direcely below revolving globe (right hand column). Your email
will not be shared!
7- AND PERHAPS THE MOST IMPORTANT! As we write more posts, it may be difficult
for you to find what you want. In the upper left is a blogger search box. Type
in your search desire, such as "Bull River
Montana
" and see where it takes you.




Thursday, June 9, 2011

Floods, fires, tornadoes, heat and hurricanes

Idaho Fly Fishers Association Members - IDFFA.com

"Floods, fires, tornadoes, heat and hurricanes" is written by the YellowStoneFly, who is a contributor to the Idaho Fly Fishers blog.

Big Horn Rainbow
Well let's see. There is a terrible fire burning in Arizona which is causing poor air quality conditions all the way to Iowa and may threaten power supplies into Texas. And everyone knows about the Tuscaloosa, AL and Joplin, MO tornadoes. What terrible disasters! And today I found out "Adrian", the first tropical storm of the season, may very well become a hurricane soon. How about the plains and the northeast? They expect to break all kinds of maximum temperature records today.

Work really is annoying!
And don't forget the flooding that is occurring along the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers. Incredible! Today is only June 9th and all this is happening. What is going on? I awoke this morning to find my dock almost covered in lake water. The streams and rivers of the northwest are almost all at flood stage. As I was driving to work and as I went over the Spokane River, I was wondering how it could possibly get any higher and how the weather could possible get any worse. And then I received a phone call from home. It was my wife saying the prediction for Idaho and the northwest (where we live) is a very cool, wet summer. This is really adversely affecting my fly fishing. 
Lockhaven & German Browns.
Big Horn River, MT

I moved to Idaho primarily to enjoy the outdoors with the snow skiing, water sports, golf and of course that wonderful Idaho fly fishing. The rivers are so high though I could easily drown if I tried to wade fish or even fish from my raft or pontoon. My gear is ready. New flies are tied. So what am I to do? The only thing I can do right now is to wait for the weather to break.

Harold & Paul on the Big Horn
In the meantime, I will tie more flies, research rivers which I have not yet fished and maybe build myself another rod. Hey, if any of you know a good place to go fly fishing considering current conditions, let me know. Dreaming of the westslope cutthroat and catching a large brown on the Bull River are right now only dreams. Hopefully by July it will be safe for me to put my raft into the Moyie at Eastport, ID or Clark Fork below St. Regis, MT so I can hang a few lunkers. I guess the other option is a trip to southern Idaho where I might be able to hook a few rainbows on the Big Wood near Sun Valley.

Clark Fork River Brown
Let's all pray the weather gives us a break soon and that this is not a prelude to the Mayan 12/21/2012. Well if it is the beginning of the end, I only can pray that there are a few very large and hungry rainbows in heaven like those on the Big Horn in Montana.

To fly fish Idaho is the best when the weather cooperates! Let's hope we can go and do it very soon before my cabin fever becomes terminal.

The Idaho Angler (IdahoAngler@live.com)

Resting by the Bull.
Tags: Vermilion River, MT
          Lightning Creek, Idaho 1921
          A "Perfect" Fly

No comments:

Post a Comment