Idaho Fly Fishers Blog

Big Y Fly Company

Big Y Fly Company
><> Sale ><> Sale ><> Sale ><> Sale ><> Sale ><> Sale ><> Sale ><> 10% OFF CALLIBAETIS <>< Sale <>< Sale <>< Sale <>< Sale <>< Sale <>< Sale <>< Sale <><

About Me

My photo
Discussing fishing flies, trout flies, salmon flies, fly fishing gear and equipment, Idaho and Montana fishing rivers, NW rivers, fly tying and fly fishing trips. Over 50 years experience in fly fishing, best flies, fly tying, fly fishing techniques, fish stories, directions to rivers and lakes and great fly fishing tall tales with special communications from area guides.

Blog Usage and Invitation to Join

HOW TO USE THIS BLOG:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GUIDES GET FREE ADVERTISING - Submit stories and photos from your
guide/personal trips which will ALL be placed on our "GUIDES' / FISH
STORIES PAGE
" and "EMAIL QUESTIONS". Allow for some editing and don't forget your
contact information.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 - The same blog header appears on each page, so please scroll down.
2 - If you like the Idaho Fly Fishers, JOIN OUR BLOG AT TOP OF RIGHT HAND
COLUMN !!!
3 - Check the box below each post and click "comments" to add your
thoughts.
4 - Go to our QUICKVIEW BLOG POST RETRIEVAL page for easy catogorized access to all of our
posts (CLICK HERE).
5 - For GREAT fly fishing photos go to Photo Headers
or Fly Fishers Photos.
6 - If you would like to have posts emailed without joining, enter your email
into the box direcely below revolving globe (right hand column). Your email
will not be shared!
7- AND PERHAPS THE MOST IMPORTANT! As we write more posts, it may be difficult
for you to find what you want. In the upper left is a blogger search box. Type
in your search desire, such as "Bull River
Montana
" and see where it takes you.




Friday, July 3, 2015

Kootenai (Lower) Advice

Lower Kootenai Advice from and Idaho Fly Fisher - Recent email from reader.

Kootenai River Valley above Bonners Ferry, ID
> From: DP
> On Jun 29, 2015, at 12:36 PM, DP wrote:
> To: YSF

> Subject: Re: Lower Kootenai Advice
> We haven't met but a few years back I read a few of your posts and decided to get a pontoon raft to increase my local fishing opportunities. I did the St.Joe twice and the North Fork (of the) CDA several times and loved it. I've scouted out the lower Kootenai and would love to do it but have struggled with the logistics. It seems best to put in at the Yaak and pull out at the Twin Rivers Resort. It seems the resort has the take out pretty well sewed up. Any advice how to make this work?
> DP

 
> On: Monday, June 29, 2015 3:42 PM, YSF wrote:
Great Dry Fly Spot!
Snow covered Cabinet Mountains in background.

> To: DP
> Subject: Re: Lower Kootenai Advice
> DP, there is actually a new ramp now at Leonia which is just inside the Montana line.
The float down to twin Rivers is approximately 11 miles. Rex who is the manager at
Twin Rivers (Campground) will shuttle you for $40.
> With this hot weather the fishing may slow somewhat and pick up again this fall. Right
now the Black Crawler and Golden Stone(fly) are the ticket however small hoppers are
out.
> Your one man pontoon should work well there however I warn that there are some
large back washes and whirlpools down low. It is a long float particularly if the wind is
blowing up stream; but it is beautiful.
> Flies mentioned above and Leonia are mentioned in my blog. Good luck. Let me know
how the fishing goes. Blog is Idaho Fly Fishers.
 
> On Jun 29, 2015, at 3:50 PM, DP wrote:
> Thanks for the advice, I plan on giving it a try soon. Been focusing on hitting rivers I'd
normally fish later in the year. Been doing well down south from bank. Pretty good
fishing early this year for those streams.
> DP
 

Rare to see other fly fishers on this stretch.
> On Monday, June 29, 2015 6:42 PM, YSF wrote:
> DP, sounds like you are having a good year. Please let me know how you do if you
fish the lower Kootenai. Plan on taking my brother up the last full week in July.
>YSF
 
> On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 9:34 AM, DP wrote:
> Made contact with Rex, I plan to float this weekend, haven't picked the day. Thanks for
the tip about the road to Leonia, gives me some options. I happen to have both Montana
and Idaho fishing licenses this year so I still plan on putting in at the Yaak to experience
the whole stretch. I'll let you know how I do but the first trip down is likely to more of a learning experience for me than a big fishing success.
> Now fishing north Idaho cutthroat streams from shore, that I know well and it has been a pretty good year so far. I got an early start and I think I've fishing as much already as I did all last year. But I think this will be a hard year for the fish. I hope they find cool spots to make it until fall.
> DP
 
Hard takes, tight lines, sore shoulders and HUGE trout to all those willing to try Idaho Fly Fishing this summer. Please email your fly fishing Idaho questions and I WILL reply.
 
Kootenai River Cutbow
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment